What is Proxy Server
A proxy server is another intermediate computer which serves as a hub by which internet demands are processed. By linking through one of those servers, your computer transmits your requests to the proxy server which then processes your request and returns what you were wanting. In this manner it acts as an intermediary between your home machine and the rest of the computers on the internet. Proxies are being used for several reasons such as to filter web content, to go around restrictions such as high authority blocks, to screen downloads and submissions also to provide anonymity when only surfing the internet.
Why people use Proxy Server
In case you are wanting to surf the web anonymously then unblock proxies provides you with a means to hide your home IP address from the rest of the world. By connecting to the internet through unblock proxies, the home IP address of your machine will not be shown but instead the IP of the proxy server will be shown. This provides you with more personal privacy then in the event that you where simply connecting directly to the internet. There are quantity of proxies that provides you with service. You can find a collection of these on any search engine by typing “Proxy List”. There are several proxies which are free plus some|and several|and a few which charge money, the option is up to you but we certainly have found that the paid proxies are more reliable, faster and more secure.
- To talk about Internet interconnection on a LAN. A lot of small businesses and family members have multiple computers but with just one Internet interconnection, they can share Net connection for other computer systems on the LAN with a proxy server.
- To speed up Internet browsing. If use proxy machine, all requests from customer computers will receive by the proxy server first, if the proxy server has cached the required resources in its local hard disk before with the internet cache function, clients are certain to get feedback directly from proxy server, it will be more quickly than direct accessing.
- To cover the Internet protocol address of the client computer in order that it can surf anonymous, this is the important reason to use proxy server. A proxy server can act as an intermediary between user’s computer and the world wide web to prevent from attack and sudden or unexpected access.
To implement Net access control for example authorization for Internet connection, band width control, online time control, Internet web filter and content filter etc.
- To bypass the security restrictions. For example, many work offices have blacklisted facebook and myspace nevertheless you can use proxy server to bypass such restrictions and access blacklisted websites easily.
- To check out outbound content, e. g., for data leak safety.
- To circumvent regional limitations. For example, a machine using IP-based geolocation to restrict its service to a certain country can be accessed by using a proxy server positioned in that country to access the service.
How to use Proxy Server for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, MSN, Yahoo, Skype
Use Proxy Server for IE
Click “Tools” -> “Internet Options” -> “Connections” -> “LAN Settings” -> select “Use a proxy server for your LAN” -> “Advanced”, configure as bellow.
Use Proxy Server for Firefox
Click “Tools” -> “Options” -> “Advanced” -> “Network” -> “Connections” -> “Settings” -> “Manual proxy configuration”, configure as bellow.
Use Proxy Server for Thunderbird 7.0
1. Windows “Start” -> “Control Panel” -> “Network Connections” -> “Local Area Connection” -> “General” -> “Properties” -> “Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)” properties -> set the “Prefered DNS server” as the proxy server’s IP address
2. Thunderbird menu “Tools” -> “Options” -> “Advanced” -> “Network & Disk Space” -> “Connections” -> click “Settings” button -> OK
Use Proxy Server for MSN Messenger
Menu “Tool” -> “Options” -> In “Connection” tab, check “I use proxy server”, choose SOCKS 5 in type, fill local proxy servers IP address in “Server”. Port is 1080.
If you are using Live Messenger 2011, “Options” -> “Connection” ->”Advanced Settings”, you can set SOCKS proxy here and also can use the IE proxy settings.
Use Proxy Server for Yahoo Messenger
If you are using Yahoo Messenger V11.0 or above, you can use both “HTTP Proxy” and “SOCKS Proxy”. If you choose “HTTP Proxy”, Yahoo Messenger will use the proxy settings you made in IE. If you choose “SOCKS Proxy”, you need to specify the proxy server parameters here.
Use Proxy Server for Skype
“Tools” -> “Connection options” -> “Connection”, you can select “HTTPS” and “SOCKS5” proxy for Skype.
I hope you understand that what is proxy server and working of it. For more updates subscribe us.