Cyber crime: Hurdles Delhi Police face
Cyber crime is on the growing stage. Delhi Police, while signing up cases for computer-related accidents and for online publishing of sexually offensive content, often finds itself hard-pressed to prove these offenses in court. This past year, Delhi Police registered 77 FIRs under the Information Technology Act but could make arrests and file demand sheets in only fifty percent the cases. Of the 16 cases filed for publishing of sexually unpleasant content, charge sheets were filed in just four cases and three busts were made. In 2014, the record was lesser. That year, the law enforcement could not file a single charge sheet in the cases on the publishing of sexually offensive content.
The poor record of Delhi Police on online crime is perhaps credited to the cyber cellular material being manned by police who have little knowledge about the complexities of hacking.
Let’s see what are the major obstacles police face:
IP address: Obtaining the IP address at the earliest is the biggest hurdle. By the time the facts arrive, money is often withdrawn and probably put in.
IP masking: When cops get details, they usually find the hackers using multiple IPs or operating through dark webs to conceal their identity.
Tech support: The cyber police device contains regular cops who lack expertise in IT-related issues. Police have to rely on private honest cyber-terrorist.
- Dos and Dont’sFor Individuals
Have updated internet security programs in place
- If your SIM gets deactivated suddenly, be alert and check your bank a/c and get the SIM activated asap. Change passwords frequently
- Never entertain any request for information like PIN or a/c numbers from anyone
Be careful while using ATMs
- Firms should have a single point of contact heading the finances with clients
- The firms should conduct regular checks at the time of payments
- Any communication for change in remittance details should be routed through multiple authorities in senior levels.
- The system should be protected with updated firewalls and anti-malware programs. Passwords must be changed at regular intervals
- Any unusual changes and transfers of high amount should be kept on hold till confirmations